Check my Pulse!

I'm supposed to be practicing worship songs for church tomorrow. Naturally I spent two hours of that time writing my own song. I'm going to share it with you! Then I'll practice.

I went to a songwriting thingie where some worship leaders challenged the people there to start writing songs for their churches. We were given homework. Not that anyone's going to check it, but I'm a naturally good student (cough). Each week had a writing assignment.

This week's assignment was to write about what is going on in the church body, Charlie Hall said to "put your hand on the pulse of the church". I'm the type where my hand is also trying to feel the pulse of the not-church. So that's what I wrote a song about.

I took people I've talked to including friends and neighbors (yes I'm creepily stalking you, and you can also probably hear this song about yourself, don't move out), and just what I'm observing and feeling around with people in church and out of church.

I want to be in community and I pray for it but it's something I have to work at and when I don't make the effort I'm not in community and it's my own dang fault!

And that leads us to this song- which I shall now on the spur of the moment name.... Saturday ... it starts with a story inspired by my neighbor who used to be in the church but now he's not but he still communicates with God, I've been praying for him that he would feel God more which he asked me to. Oklahoma City is also quite segregated, every part of town is a different ethnicity for the most part, and racism is still alive here (where is it not?) as well as lots of violence (perhaps you heard of the post NBA shooting on the news last week, where eight people were shot coming out of the game about ten minutes from my house). Also most people I know graduate college and immediately feel intensely lonely (that is if they weren't already feeling it before). I believe that if I want to feel God I need to put on my metaphorical bathing suit and jump into the pool of His people, because "where two or more are gathered in My name I'm there", and in John Jesus prays the believers would become one so the world would know God... so to feel love which is to feel God's goodness I think we need to get into community and we WILL feel His love physically, emotionally, and spiritually. And that is what changes the world. That is my prayer for myself and all of you and that is the point of the song. I love you all <3

P.S. Enjoy Sammy stealing the show as usual. 




SATURDAY

Saturday night the porch light is off
At home with nothing to do, and no one to call
Sometimes I talk to God
It seems He understands me better than anyone else

*but sometimes
I want to feel
Love for real
Where everything is free
And I am safe
(2x)

When did we learn to avoid our brothers
And move to neighborhoods
With people of the same color
Are we alone because we’re just afraid
Is this fear a part of being human we have to overcome by faith

*but sometimes
we want to feel
Love for real
Where everything is free
And we are safe
(2x)

Give us courage
To become one
Because Your kingdom is here
And it’s still coming
I don’t wanna miss it ‘cause I was tired at home (3x)

but sometimes
I have to give
Love for real
Where everything is costly
And nothing is safe
And most of the time
we were made to give
Love for real
Where everything is costly
And nothing is safe
There’s no better way
To escape
Our prisons

to escape our prisons (2x) and find God
To escape our prisons (2x) and feel Jesus on Earth
 

Comments

  1. Audrey, you are beautiful...and this song is beautiful. I miss you immensely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts