Cats on a Plane

I was so confused at 9:oo this morning. I didn't understand why I was still tired, or why I didn't want to get up, or why I was wearing a dress and shorts, or why coffee was necessary when I'd had seven solid hours of sleep. I just don't understand it. I read online that nine or more hours of sleep can be damaging to your health but I'm sorry they just DON'T KNOW ME. At 9:30 I dragged myself out of bed and made some of the Dominican coffee which was in our freezer for a year and, in my attempts to be frugal, was opened a few days ago. Hanna, was that yours? Was it important? Should I go to the D.R. and buy you some more? That coffee is AMAZING. I had pineapple for breakfast. Contrary to what you might think, a bite of pineapple followed by a swig of coffee is actually pretty good. It's a citrus-y musky light sort of taste.
To tell you the end of the story before the beginning, I have an announcement to make: JESUS GAVE ME A JOB!!!!!! That's right, He did. Why do I blame it on Him, you ask? Because I didn't apply for it, and I was rejected from it two months ago, and I'm not qualified for it, and it's a miracle, that's why.
Here's what happened. While driving around Virginia dodging deer and overeating at home, I realized something one day when I was having a bit of a tantrum in my sister's room. I don't quite remember why, it was a general there-is-no-hope-in-life-I'm-tired-of-not-knowing-where-I'll-be-living-in-a-month kind of tantrum. I was in the midst of (embarrassing if anyone had been home) sobs and upon realizing something, I choked back my tears much like a two-year-old reprimanded for crying over something ridiculous. I realized that if I hated my situation so much I could just change it. I decided to move to Oklahoma. I would work at a department store or be a substitute teacher or a secretary or whatever a bachelor's degree will get you these days.

I packed up my winter clothes and teaching books and put them in my trunk, stole my mom's 1986 country church cookbook (well, not really, I asked for it), and then drove back to Charleston. I told everyone Saturday and Sunday that I was moving to Oklahoma in a month, job or not, and my friends were surprisingly supportive. My reasons for moving included losing my toothbrush (that's a sign you're traveling too much), and wanting to live somewhere for more than a few months.
Sunday night I got an email from the first school where I interviewed. Another ELL (English Language Learner, it's more politically correct than ESL, because ESL means English as a second language, and maybe they already have a second language) position opened up it was offered to me!
WOOT! I'M TEACHING REFUGEES HOW TO ORDER FOOD AND BUY STUFF AT THE STORE! THIS IS AWESOME!!!
The second miracle was when I found roommates. That happened two days later (also known as last night). I emailed a church I had visited and some girls responded. One of them is about to leave for Haiti and another is glad I want to sign a month-to-month lease because she might be moving to Kenya in a few months. And rent is ridiculously cheap.
SO all that to say Jesus has worked lots and lots of miracles and I can't believe it and I'm moving in twelve days. Good thing I don't own any furniture because I have to fit everything I own in my car and drive 20 hours across the country. I'll work on flying my cat out later.
AUDREY!!!! that sounds so exciting!! I'm so happy for you!! You know what?! This is seriously a sign........because this morning i was on youtube and i was trying to find a worship song and then Phil Wickham's appeared and then I remembered you introducing me to his music and so I said a quick prayer for you. AHH i'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU! and you and ur boyfriend seem so cute together =) And you're going to teach refugees?? I am still teaching over-fortunate brats here in hong kong HAHA we should skype soon!!
ReplyDeleteI love you. You are so amazing! I am extremely happy for you! What an amazing blessing to be called back for that job!!!! It's funny that after you gave up and decided to go to OK completely on FAITH knowing you would find somewhere, anywhere to work that you got the call! Travel safe!
ReplyDelete-Dawn
I hope some of them are Bhutanese Refugees!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that things are fleshing out. Praise Jesus. Still praying for those good folks you're going to meet once you get your butt over there.